[Users] OpenVZ and the Ubuntu Upstart init daemon

Matthias Urlichs smurf at smurf.noris.de
Sat Apr 7 09:51:22 EDT 2007

Hi,

Daniel Pittman:
> Under OpenVZ startup, however, things don't quite look the same.
> OpenVZ will exec the init process with *no* open file descriptors.

Upstart/init is not the only program that breaks when stdin/out/err are
closed when you call it.

On the other hand, it's not too much to expect upstart to be a bit more
lenient in what it expects, given that there may or may not be a way to
have these file descriptors open when launching it.

So in this case I'd like to apply the "when in doubt, do both"
guideline and fix upstart *and* openVZ.

Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  smurf at smurf.noris.de
 - -
To be thrown on one's own resources is to be cast in the very lap of
fortune; for our faculties undergo a development, and display an energy, of
which they were previously unsusceptible.
					-- Benjamin Franklin