[Users] OpenVZ and the Ubuntu Upstart init daemon

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sat Apr 7 23:41:54 EDT 2007

Scott James Remnant <scott at ubuntu.com> writes:
> On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 23:20 +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:

Please respect the reply-to -- the issues, if any, now seem to be
located in the Upstart area rather than OpenVZ specific.

>> > G'day.  I have been playing with the 'upstart' daemon that replaces
>> > the traditional /sbin/init process in Ubuntu Edgy and Feisty.

[...]

>> I spent some more time tracking this down and seem to be a conflict
>> between the expectations of the Upstart process and the environment
>> provided by OpenVZ when starting init in a new VE.
>
> I appreciate your debugging efforts; I've been asking OpenVZ users to
> help with the problem for some time with little avail.

Well, hopefully I should be able to dig through the issues and get to
the bottom of the problems.

[...]

>> This causes the control_open method to bind file description 0 to the
>> Unix domain socket -- and the later loop to carefully close the socket
>> again.
>
> This was a bug introduced relatively recently while clearing out the
> main() function, and has already been fixed in bzr trunk:

Great.  I have worked around that for the moment with my local shell
script and am working on getting the rest of the boot process up and
running.

Is it likely that this issue will be fixed before the Feisty release?
I know the freeze is in effect at the moment but this is definitely a
big incompatibility with the OpenVZ system.

> I've had reports of OpenVZ failing for some time before this though;
> can you confirm that with this patch, Upstart works correctly?

No, but it certainly gets a lot further.  I am still working on
debugging the early "boot" process to find out where it fails.

I will follow up on this (on the Ubuntu list) once I have more results.
Hopefully this should lead to full compatibility between the two.

Once I have final results I will also copy of OpenVZ list, but I don't
think they need to know all the messy details of the debugging process.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/