[Users] OpenVZ kernel RPM name

Kirill Kolyshkin kolyshkin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 19:03:23 EDT 2006

I though that (at least) yum detects "install-only" packages by their
'provides', not by name. I might be wrong with that though...here's a
relevant section of /usr/lib/yum-plugins/installonlyn.py (yum-2.6.1):

    for instpkg in conf.installonlypkgs:
        for m in mems:
            if (m.name == instpkg or instpkg in m.po.getProvidesNames()) \
                   and m.ts_state in ('i', 'u'):

I'm not yum expert but it seems that 'instpkg in m.po.getProvidesNames()' is
the piece of code which helps in this scenario.

We name our kernel packages as 'ovzkernel...' just because we don't want to
mess with usual non-openvz kernels. OpenVZ and non-OpenVZ kernel should not
be treated uniformly, otherwise yum will "upgrade" OpenVZ
2.6.16-basedkernel with stock
2.6.18 -- which is a wrong thing to do. Well, the fact that vzctl depends on
something that ovzkernel provides might help, but I'm not sure.

So, if yum can handle this, we'd rather not change the ovzkernel package
name. I'm not sure about apt though.