[Users] OpenVZ and VMWare or Parallels on the same host?

Andrew Cranson (Transnexis) cranky at transnexis.com
Sat Nov 11 09:38:57 EST 2006

Someone may know for sure, but if not this may help. I have installed
commercial Virtuozzo inside VMware VE's many times and it works fine.
You don't need a special network config as VMware (or Parallels) just
virtualises the ethernet device and VZ (probably OpenVZ too) see it as a
physical device. IIRC there were compatability problems with one of the
VMware ethernet devices, but they have multiple options available so if
you have compatability problems try changing the ethernet device and it
should work fine.

Jim Nightshade wrote:
> Is it possible to load VMWare kernel modules into an OpenVZ kernel and
> run VMware on the host?  Is it possible to use Parallels alongside
> OpenVZ?  I mean on the host, not in the guests.
>
> Would such a setup require a special network configuration?  What if I
> put two Ethernet adapters into the box?  Could I use one interface for
> OpenVZ and the other one for VMware or Parallels?

Regards,

Andrew Cranson
Transnexis Hosting
www.transnexis.com

ICQ: 161813538
MSN: andrew at transnexis.com
AIM: cransona

 >>> Virtuozzo Virtual Private Servers now available from $24.95/mo! US
or UK based. Ask me for details. <<<