[Users] New features suggestion

Martin Dobrev mdobrev at hive-net.net
Wed May 31 10:18:17 EDT 2006

Hi @ll,

I was thinking about some kind of kernel/userspace extension to the
OpenVZ project. Actually the full list of processes on the hostnode is a
bit disturbing and could lead to some bad things like killing a VPS
process by accident. It's almost the same with netstat - now we see all
open ports from the hostnode and the VPSes in the same list. To avoid
such situations I suggest the following:

1. To patch the kernel in order to have the possibility to filter easy
hostnode's and VPS'es processes.
2. To patch some userspace programs, just to list the VPS related stuff.

To be clear I'll give the following example with netstat. The program
will still list the port stats, but _only_ from the hostnode. A new
program, called vnetstat will list the ports, that are handled by the
VPSes. In the mean time a new column can show the VPS ID too, just to
have the possibility to easy find the corresponding server. The same
idea can be used for ps too.
Actually there is no need to separate the things in different programs.
Let's say we'll patch the main program and include the VPS ID column in it.

What do you thing about this? Any comments and suggestions are appreciated!

Best regards,
Martin Dobrev