[Users] Dhcp Networking -net-dev_add Confusion

Frank DiRocco frank.dirocco at gmail.com
Sat May 20 23:02:22 EDT 2006

I have created a Debian OpenVZ machine as stated at
http://www.howtoforge.com/openvz_debian_vps well call it chapai.
I have also create a debian vps which I want to make a firewall out of call
this one iris.

I configured chapai so only dummy0 172.16.141.10 is configured on boot (eth0
is commented out, this originally accepted dhcp addy from server)

The end of iris' config file has
IPADDRESS="172.16.40.100"
NETDEV="eth0 dummy1 dummy2"

When I rebooted the host, "vzlist -a" showed iris "running". "ssh
root at 172.16.141.100" logged me into my debian vps iris. Eth0 does not come up
auto-magically (and shuldn't). If I configure eth0 (in iris) with a static ip
on my lan, iris can contact the lan and chapai is "behind" iris. I want this
to work with dhcp on eth0 in iris, but when I modify /etc/network/interfaces
in iris it is reset upon reboot and no eth0 comes up (I also cant
find /etc/network/interfaces.templates. Is this supposed to exist?) I have
also tried to modify /vz/private/etc/network/interfaces, with no luck.

I apologise if this was to verbose or very simple and I over complicated it.
I'm just comming into openvz from xen and am trying to adapt. :-D

This is the Goal I want to achieve. Although eth1, FakeLAN, and Future VPS's
were not dicused in my question.

                            My LAN
                              DHCP
        ______________|_______________
       |        __________|___________        |
       |       |                 eth0                 |         |
       |       |       VPS "iris" Firewall   eth1----------FakeLAN
       |       |____________________ |         |
       |          dummy1          dummy2             |
       |            |                             |                |
       |          dummy3          dummyX             |
       | |Host "Chapai" |   |  "Future VPS's" |  |

--
Thank you,
  Frank  Di Rocco

    A byte walks into a bar and orders a pint. Bartender asks him "What's
    wrong?" The byte says "Parity error." Bartender nods and says "Yeah, I
    thought you looked a bit off."