[Users] Noob questions

Cliff Wells cliff at develix.com
Sat Jun 3 01:09:30 EDT 2006

Hi,

I've decided to try out OpenVZ on my home system prior to using it on
some servers.  My plan was to continue to use my normal desktop but run
some services (httpd at least) in a VE.

I ran into a couple issues, one that I have a fix for, and one that
perhaps someone could shed some light on for me.

To start, XFS support was not compiled in, therefore I rebuilt from the
src.rpm and added this (just a note).

General system info:
FC4 (updated from the usual suspects: freshrpms, dag, etc)
Athlon 1700+ (kernel built for i686)
XFS filesystem on aic7xxx
NVidia binary driver (dual head using twinview, xinerama off)
ovzkernel-2.6.16-026test012.1 (rebuilt from src rpm)

2)  I'm using the binary NVidia driver.  It was initially unable to
build because it couldn't locate Makefile.cpu.  This was easily resolved
by copying this file
from /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/ovzkernel-2.6.16/linux-2.6.16/arch/i386/Makefile.cpu
to /lib/modules/2.6.16-026test012.1/build/arch/i386/

3) After successfully getting X to start, I am unable to use the mouse.
It moves only along a vertical axis in the center of the screen (this is
the issue I could use help with). The mouse in question is a Logitech
cordless USB mouse.

So regarding issue #3, is running X outside a VE not supported or have I
simply run into a bug or configuration issue?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Cliff