[Users] openvz and SuSE

Mishin Dmitry dim at sw.ru
Fri Feb 3 10:03:24 EST 2006

OpenVZ allows to use firewall both on HN and in VPSs.
And I was completely wrong talking that there is no way!!!
You can set no IP to eth0, but have VPSs accessible from intranet.
Here:
ifconfig eth0 0
ip r add 10.0.0.0/8 dev eth0
ip r add default via GW_ADDR
sysctl -w net.ipv4.conf.eth0.proxy_arp=1
ip route add VPS1_IP dev venet0
vzctl start VPS1
there should be some warnings, just skip them.

So, the main point is to enable arp_proxying on intranet interface and have
added VPS related routes before VPS start (else vzctl will return with error
- you may fix this in /usr/lib/vzctl/scripts/vps-functions)

On Friday 03 February 2006 16:37, Daniel Bauer wrote:
> From: "Mishin Dmitry" <dim at sw.ru>
>
> > On Friday 03 February 2006 15:38, Daniel Bauer wrote:
> >> is it possible to take another way to work on Ethernet level, because
> >> don't want a official IP for the host.
> >> 1. security
> >> 2. no need for
> >> 3. one official IP less for each block
> >
> > If you have only one or two VPSs, you can use real devices dedicated
> > to each
> > VPS, but this is not your case. For now, we don't work on Ethernet
> > level  and
> > you are required to have one more real IP for the block.
> >
> > I suppose, that from security point of view it is a not big deal,
> > while you
> > can use netfilter to protect it and additionally all VPSs, because
> > their
> > traffic goes through HN route tables.
> >
> > If it is still the problem, you can check Virtuozzo's Name Based
> > Hosting
> > feature - it allows to use one real IP for multiple VPSs (pop, smtp,
> > http,
> > ftp)
>
> Hello Dmitry,
>
> thanks for your explaination.
>
> If I understand you right, you do the firewalling on the host, not in
> the VPS. I think it will work and I could afford one more IP for the
> host, but my opinion was to have less as possible on my host and let the
> VPS do the work ;)
>
> Thanks again
> Daniel

Thanks,