[Users] openvz and SuSE

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Fri Feb 3 06:04:24 EST 2006

Daniel Bauer wrote:

>>> Why is the stuff double in private and root, I thougt that the root
>>> is only the mounted stuff from private?
>>

>> It is not doubled. You can think of it as a bind mount (although it's
>> a bit more than that).
>> Private is a source for mount (i.e. what we mount), while root is a
>> mountpoint (i.e. where we mount it).
>
> ok, that is what I understood, but when I stop the VPS, the root is
> still full of content, shouldn't it be unmounted?

vzctl stop does unmounting of the root area. If you stop VPS from within
a VPS itself, the mount is still there -- and you can umount manually
(vzctl umount NNN).

Creating a cron job for that is problematic - you can not distinguish a
case there you stopped VPS from inside so it needs to be unmounted from
the case there you just mounted a VPS (say, to do some maintenance). So
it is left as is, since there is no problem to left it mounted - it does
not consume much resources etc.