[Users] DNS Server on OpenVZ.

Kirill Korotaev dev at sw.ru
Fri Dec 22 14:24:12 EST 2006

Paul,

> I have been using OpenVZ for a number of months in a hosting environment
> but now I wish to bring an internal node online running OpenVZ and would
> like your input on my plans.
>
> At first I will be running just the one node with about 5 or 6 VE's on
> the node. I have no problems installing OpenVZ and creating VE's but I
> am under the impression that a VE can not "see" any other VE's on the
> same node, is this correct?
what do you mean by "see"? it depends on what you put into this word.
e.g. one VE can connect to another via TCP/IP networking and thus see it :)
But I guess you mean that one VE is isolated from another and
VE owner can't affect/crack/change/abuse/... another VE, correct?
Then you are right.

> I ask because one of the VE's will be
> running a DNS server for our internal network. of the others one will be
> running Apache, one will be running Lighttpd and one will be running
> Qmail with the other two undecided as yet.
no problem with this setup so far.

> Is this workable with the DNS server on the same node as the VE's or do
> I need to being a second node online to run the DNS from?
no problem with running DNS server inside VE.

Thanks,
Kirill