[Users] Installing BIND on VE's

Romeo Theriault romeotheriault at fastmail.fm
Fri Dec 22 08:17:20 EST 2006

On 12/21/06 9:19 PM, "Al Sparks" <asparks at alaska.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a test environment of name servers.  I downloaded
> the BIND tarball to one of the Virtual Environment, and tried to
> compile it.  That didn't work, because there's no gcc installed.
>
> So I tried compiling it at the management level which did work, and
> transferred the compiled version over to the VE.  When I did a make
> install make did run, but ended with errors.
>
> How do I create a VE that will compile and install something like
> BIND?  I'm sure there are lots of libraries that may be needed.
>
> I'm new to OpenVZ.  Am I missing something obvious?
>
> I'm running CentOS 4.4 in all VE's.
>    === Al

Al, the first thing you want to do is install yum in your vps from the host
node. You would do that from the Host Node with something like this:

 vzyum <vpsid> install yum

<vpsid> being the id of the vps you want to install yum in.

Then I would ssh into the vps and using yum install BIND or at least the
libraries you will need to compile BIND.

You would do that with something like this:

 yum install bind

HTH's
Romeo