[Users] Vzsplit question

Romeo Theriault romeotheriault at fastmail.fm
Mon Dec 11 20:00:56 EST 2006

Hello, I think I'm not entirely understanding how vzsplit works.

I want to split my server up into 20 ve's. So I ran this:

vzsplit -n 20 -f vps.mytest

Which creates the appropriate file. Which I use as my template when creating
new VE's. Great.

But when I run vzcalc on one of the ve's that I've created with the template
made with vzsplit, this is what it shows:

[root at vz ~]# vzcalc 101
Resource     Current(%)  Promised(%)  Max(%)
Memory           0.28      20.45      22.46

I'm confused because I thought splitting it up for 20 ve's would give a
promised of around 5%, not 20%. How can 20 ve's each be promised 20%?

Here is the output of vzcpucheck with two ve's running with the
aforementioned template from above.

[root at vz ~]# vzcpucheck
Current CPU utilization: 35758
Power of the node: 183537

Here is the vz script called 101.conf that the above vzsplit created. I
modified only the Disk quota's and the hostname, ip_address, nameservers
paramters:

NUMPROC="400:400"
AVNUMPROC="111:111"
NUMTCPSOCK="400:400"
NUMOTHERSOCK="400:400"
VMGUARPAGES="310531:2147483647"

# Secondary parameters
KMEMSIZE="9130147:10043161"
TCPSNDBUF="1404982:3043382"
TCPRCVBUF="1404982:3043382"
OTHERSOCKBUF="702491:2340891"
DGRAMRCVBUF="702491:702491"
OOMGUARPAGES="310531:2147483647"
PRIVVMPAGES="310531:341584"

# Auxiliary parameters
LOCKEDPAGES="445:445"
SHMPAGES="31053:31053"
PHYSPAGES="0:2147483647"
NUMFILE="3552:3552"
NUMFLOCK="355:390"
NUMPTY="40:40"
NUMSIGINFO="1024:1024"
DCACHESIZE="1986361:2045952"
NUMIPTENT="100:100"

# Disk space
DISKSPACE="5000000:5100000"
DISKINODES="665374:731912"
QUOTATIME="600"

# CPU Scheduling
CPUUNITS="8573"
VE_ROOT="/vz/root/$VEID"
VE_PRIVATE="/vz/private/$VEID"
OSTEMPLATE="centos-4-i386-default"
ORIGIN_SAMPLE="vps.mytest"
ONBOOT="yes"
HOSTNAME="not.a.real.hostname.com"
IP_ADDRESS="555.555.555.555"
NAMESERVER="555.555.555.555"

The script also validates with vzcfgvalidate, so I'm assuming this is an
error of my understanding. Would someone be kind enough to explain to me how
this works.

Thanks,

Romeo