[Users] Networkproblem: VE stops sending ACKs

Konstantin Seiler list at kseiler.de
Sat Dec 2 08:55:52 EST 2006

On Saturday 02 December 2006 01:43, Konstantin Seiler wrote:
> I've got a strange networkingproblem around here - the VE suddenly stops to
> send ACKs.

Hi!
I finally found something related to that problem. It seems to be a problem
with TCPRCVBUF in the VEs config. For a check I multiplied the values by 10
and the download went fine.
(By the way, what are considered proper values - the defaults caused the
trouble)

So I interpret the situation as a Bug of OpenVZ: The VE doesn't take TCPRCVBUF
into account when setting the TCP-Window-Size and the propagated window is
too big for the available buffer.
If a packet gets lost now, the connection is doomed to die: The sender keeps
sending packets and eventually the buffer is full. When the retransmission of
the lost packet finally arrives, it is discarded because of the full buffer
and the connection is in a deadlock.
The retransmission can't be accepted because of the full buffer and the buffer
can't be emptied, because a packet is missing.

Cheers,
Konstantin