[Users] Problems with Gentoo template creation

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Thu Aug 10 04:21:19 EDT 2006

Ronald Tanner wrote:
> No problem, I can create these devices.
> However after a reboot they are lost because /dev is mounted
> on tmpfs and gentoo uses udev.

Can you make it NOT use udev? The thing is udev is really useless in a VE.
Probably setting RC_DEVICES="static" in /etc/conf.d/rc helps.
> Besides: do you have any idea why I have to set the routes
>
> /sbin/route add -net 191.255.255.1 netmask 255.255.255.255 dev venet0
> /sbin/route add default gw 191.255.255.1
>
> on the VE by hand to get the net working?

This is a trick to have everything routed to venet0. To set it
automatically (by vzctl) you have to name your template
gentoo-(something), so vzctl will guess this is gentoo (by looking at
the value of OSTEMPLATE in /etc/vz/conf/NNN.conf) and will apply the
appropriate scripts when doing vzctl set NNN --ipadd --save

Can you try this instead:
/sbin/route add default dev venet0
and check if it will work for you?