[Users] Problems with Gentoo template creation

Ronald Tanner tanner at semafor.ch
Wed Aug 9 11:54:23 EDT 2006

Hi

On a Gentoo/OpenVZ system with kernel 2.6.16-026test015 I created a
gentoo template by following the instructions on

http://wiki.openvz.org/Gentoo_template_creation

I am now encountering several problems with the VPS
that are created using this template
I cannot find the "random" devices that are needed for example
to generate the host key for ssh. The problem is maybe somehow
related with the link of /etc/mtab -> /proc/mounts.
After removing the link and adding the following
line into /etc/mtab on the VPS:

proc /proc proc rw 0 0

at least the device urandom exists and I am able to create the
host keys. But now I cannot ping the VPS:

     VPSID      NPROC STATUS  IP_ADDR         HOSTNAME
       500          3 running 10.0.186.10     -

ping 10.0.186.10  (no answer)

entering works:

vzctl enter 500

Thanks for any help.