[Users] VServer vs OpenVZ

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Tue Dec 6 09:17:18 EST 2005

My view of subject is definitely biased towards OpenVZ, but still: there
are areas where OpenVZ is definitely more developed than VServer. Let me
concentrate on three of these.

First is stability. By sticking to old (currently 2.6.8) kernel and
backporting all the bug fixes, security fixes and hardware driver
updates, we make OpenVZ kernel very stable. We do a lot of kernel
testing in house, including stress testing.

Second is resource management. There are a lot of resources that can be
abused from inside VServer guest or OpenVZ VPS, leading to at least DoS;
some of those resources are not under control of traditional UNIX means
such as ulimit. In OpenVZ we have User Beancounters (UBC for short),
which accounts and limits about 20 of such resources (including IPC
objects, various kernel buffers etc).

Third is virtualized network stack. AFAIK VServer's ngnet is not yet
ready for prime time yet, while OpenVZ's venet is here. Without fully
virtualized network stack people are experiencing problems like this one:
http://www.paul.sladen.org/vserver/archives/200511/0165.html
http://www.paul.sladen.org/vserver/archives/200511/0189.html

Regards,
  Kir, OpenVZ project leader