[Devel] namespace-related issues in pykdump and openVZ-specific patches

Vasily Averin vvs at virtuozzo.com
Wed Nov 3 22:19:00 MSK 2021

Alex, Martin,

I use your nice pykdump tools for troubleshooting of OpenVZ kernels.

Our kernels allow to run hundreds of well-isolated LXC-like containers,
and uses a lot of various namespaces.

Pykdump interface have --usens option, and in general it works well.
Unfortunately it does not help in some cases, for example
- xportshow --arp for task inside container still shows routes related to init_netns
- nfsshow does not show container-related information too.
    get_nfs_mounts() get mounts from getMount() that works with host mounts only.
I've ignored some minor issues, fixed some simple cases,
but still hаve troubles with complex issues and
would like discuss how to fix them properly.

Additionaly we would like to adapt pykdump for our kenrel.
Our kernel includes ~1000 our own patches in various subsystems.
Some of them "virtualizes" some interfaces, to allow uses and change them safely from inside containers.
For example we have replaces global pid_max variable by additional per-pidnamespace parameter,
as result LinuxDump/Tasks.py fails on readSymbol("pid_max")
Fix is trivial and we would like to push it pykdump.

Also we would like to add some openVZ specific commands.
Sometime ago I've prepared vz.c crash extension
https://github.com/crash-utility/crash-extensions/blob/master/vz.c
Recently I've implemented this functionality in pykdump-python scripts.
Is there any chances to include them into pykdump core?

Could you please clarify, what is right way to discuss and submit any patches to pkdump?
Where is the proper place to discuss such kind of questions?
Do you have perhaps some bug tracker or pykdump-specific mailing list?
If you wish I can create such mailing list on openvz.

Thank you,
    Vasily Averin