[Devel] 4.14.7-vz8.1.4

gremlin at gremlin.ru gremlin at gremlin.ru
Tue Apr 24 11:28:07 MSK 2018

Good ${greeting_time}, colleagues!

Yesterday I've pulled fresh sources and, before letting the vz8
to run in the test environment (and in the preprod on success),
had a brief look at it.

Of course, the best and the most wise decision was the move to
the most recent longterm-supported kernel. However, there are
other changes, which don't seem that wise:

1. No beancounters.

It was one of the best sources of diagnostic information about
what happens inside of VE, so I guess many administrators would
like to either get it back or have this information available
from some other source.

2. No simfs.

Well, ploop has some advantages... However, I'd like to get a
simple recipe for _shrinking_ the VE's filesystem on the fly,
while keeping it running.

Alas, with the lack of these features most of your users would
very likely stuck at vz6, which is simple and effective (and
requires only two userspace packages, vzquota and vzctl).

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin
GPG: 8832FE9FA791F7968AC96E4E909DAC45EF3B1FA8