[Devel] [Q] Connecting a physical HDD/partition to a container

Evgenii Shatokhin eshatokhin at virtuozzo.com
Wed Jan 27 03:58:44 PST 2016

27.01.2016 13:29, Stanislav Kinsburskiу пишет:

> 27 янв. 2016 г. 11:12 AM пользователь Evgenii Shatokhin <eshatokhin at virtuozzo.com> написал:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a way to make a partition of a physical HDD, say, sdb1 directly
>> available to a container, bypassing ploop?
>>

> Hi,
>
> There is a way of exposing a device to a container.
> First of all, you'll need device node in /dev.
> You can create it manually.

I created it with
vzctl set 101 --devnodes sdb1:rw --save

The node is now present in the CT. However, if I try to mount it in the
CT (mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt), no error is reported but mount seems to have
no effect. No files are seen in /mnt that are present on that partition.

So, I guess, additional steps are needed?

> If you need sysfs layout for this, it's also possible (but a bit more tricky).
> Please, note, that device access will be shared with the host. IOW, it's not bypassing, but sharing of a device and you can share it with as many virtual environments as you want.

That is OK. I just need to compare the behaviour of the CT when
accessing the FS on a "real" partition and on a ploop device.