[Devel] CentOS Images and openvz

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Feb 10 09:04:26 PST 2016

Hi Scott,

On 10/02/16 16:47, Scott Dowdle wrote:
> I think the best thing you could do would be to pass along the complaints... as they really should not be directed toward the CentOS Project in the first place.

Thats what we typically do - encourage folks to engage with the upstream
/ service providers / sources of content.

> It would be interesting to hear what the complaints were.  Generally speaking, some folks seem to complain that they are too big (too many packages pre-installed) for their tastes.  Other than that, I haven't heard too much.
>
> The basic way they are assembled is by installing a set of packages into a chroot and then making some minor changes (like an apache config change that has 1 server started rather than 5), and then just compressing that either as a .tar.gz (OpenVZ Legacy) or as a compressed disk image (Virtuozzo 7).
>
> I do appreciate you reaching out and encourage you to continue to do so in the future with any other OpenVZ related matters.

Most of the complaints stem around compromised instances, or bad yum
repo definitions or non managed / non manageable content being included
in the instance content etc. So it would be good to start with a solid
instance (template ?) and try to promote that.

--
Karanbir Singh