[Devel] vzctl PRE_CREATE hook

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Mon May 18 21:37:40 PDT 2015

(I previously replied to Nikolay only -- re-sending with devel@ included)

On 05/12/2015 02:36 AM, Nikolay Tenev wrote:
> Hello devs,
>
> In my project I wanted to make every OpenVZ container to use for a
> private directory (VE_PRIVATE) separated block device (HDD partition,
> lvm volume, NFS share, etc.). To use wrapper script over vzctl was one
> option, but PRE_CREATE hook, in which to create, mkfs and mount LVM
> volume would be even better.
>
> So, I'm not a developer, but using code from POST_CREATE hook I was
> able to create the PRE_CREATE one, which can be used as the other
> hooks e.g.
>
> add in /etc/vz/dists/ default
> PRE_CREATE = precreate.sh
>
> and during
> vzctl --create ...
>
> it will call /etc/vz/dists/scripts/precreate.sh with VEID as argument

Nope. These scripts are per-distribution scripts, i.e. they are targeted for
various distro-specific things, such as setting IP addresses etc.

What you need is a global script, not dependent on CT distro. I suggest
a precreate.sh script similar to prestart.sh one (for details, see commit
https://github.com/kolyshkin/vzctl/commit/0807ef4)

> Currently I have a patch to vzctl master branch which implements this
> PRE_CREATE hook and I'm ready to share it.
>
> So my questions are:
> - Do you find this for interesting and/or useful?
> - If 'yes', what is the right way to send this patch: here, by email;
> or to create pull request in git repo?

The best way would be to redo as advised above and send a patch to
devel@ list.

Thanks,
   Kir.