[Devel] [Q] iptables AH module api mismatch between -master and 1.4.7

Cyrill Gorcunov gorcunov at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 05:15:22 PDT 2015

Hello! Could you clarify please the following aspect: before the commit

 | commit 6944f2c8190f1c4319aeac748470c71b0ba45025
 | Author: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh at medozas.de>
 | Date:   Tue May 24 23:50:29 2011 +0200
 |
 |    libxtables: have xtopt_parse_mint interpret partially-spec'd ranges
 |
 |    When ":n" or "n:" is specified, it will now be interpreted as "0:n"
 |    and "n:<max>", respecitvely. nvals will always reflect the number of
 |    (expanded) components. This restores the functionality of options that
 |    take such partially-unspecified ranges.
 |
 |    This makes it possible to nuke the per-matchdata init functions of
 |    some extensions and simply the extensions postparsing to the point
 |    where it only needs to check for nvals==1 or ==2.
 |
 |    Signed-off-by: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh at medozas.de>

if the AH module has no --ahspi argument passed to iptables then it
became [0;0xffffffff] by default, but in -master branch it becomes
[0;0] instead, which implies that if iptables-save is called with
latest -master branch it should not be used with old (1.4.7)
iptables-restore otherwise the kernel would see different --ahspi
ranges. Thus (if only I'm not missing something obvious) this is
abi breakage and old behaviour should be fixed (I'm gonna prepare
a patch for that but would love to know first if it's needed)?

	Cyrill