[Devel] Ethernet performance

Paul Sheer paulsheer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 09:44:36 PDT 2014

Hi there!

Thanks for the excellent wiki on openvz.org.

We would like to move an application to a container that is currently
running on bare metal.

The ethernet card we are running is a Broadcom NetXstreme II with 10
I/O channels. Each I/O channel is bound to it's own CPU.

Our application processes 400,000 packets per second. Each of the 10
CPUs is running at 80% load -- mostly consumed by interrupts.

>From your page  http://openvz.org/Differences_between_venet_and_veth
I see that we will need to use veth since we do a lot of custom ARP
work.

However how will the system as a whole distribute packets across different CPUs?

Basically what i am asking here:  is my idea to virtualize or
containerize this application a pipe dream?

Thanks!

]Paul