[Devel] RFC: /proc/cmdline writeable by root

Sergey Korshunoff seyko2 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 08:33:03 PST 2014

First time I patched an openvz kernel and vzctl for configuring a
/proc/cmdline in CT. This was needed to properly run a my version of
the gentoo without a change. Second time: I trying to make a universal
livecd with android-x86. And to do this /proc/cmdline in CT0 must be
writeable by a root user. Programs in the initrd can load a different
video drivers, some drivers support a hardware acceleration, some
don't. In the last case /proc/cmdline must contain HWACCEL=0. If the
livecd is running by VirtualBox, then android.hardware=vm must be
present in the /proc/cmdline. If /proc/cmdline will be writeable then
a programs in the initrd can present a configuration menu to the user
and a need to use a syslinux boot loader for this will go away.

Any comments?

PS: a patch for the second case is attached