[Devel] Re: [RFC] slub: show dead memcg caches in a separate file

Glauber Costa glommer at parallels.com
Mon May 7 20:30:16 PDT 2012

On 05/07/2012 07:04 PM, Suleiman Souhlal wrote:
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Glauber Costa<glommer at parallels.com>  wrote:
>> One of the very few things that still unsettles me in the kmem
>> controller for memcg, is how badly we mess up with the
>> /proc/slabinfo file.
>>
>> It is alright to have the cgroup caches listed in slabinfo, but once
>> they die, I think they should be removed right away. A box full
>> of containers that come and go will rapidly turn that file into
>> a supreme mess. However, we currently leave them there so we can
>> determine where our used memory currently is.
>>
>> This patch attempts to clean this up by creating a separate proc file
>> only to handle the dead slabs. Among other advantages, we need a lot
>> less information in a dead cache: only its current size in memory
>> matters to us.
>>
>> So besides avoiding polution of the slabinfo files, we can access
>> dead cache information itself in a cleaner way.
>>
>> I implemented this as a proof of concept while finishing up
>> my last round for submission. But I am sending this separately
>> to collect opinions from all of you. I can either implement
>> a version of this for the slab, or follow any other route.
>
> I don't really understand why the "dead" slabs are considered as
> polluting slabinfo.
>
> They still have objects in them, and I think that hiding them would
> not be the right thing to do (even if they are available in a separate
> file): They will incorrectly not be seen by programs like slabtop.

Well, technically speaking, they aren't consider. I consider. The
difference is subtle, but boils down to if no one else consider this a
problem... there is no problem.

Now let me expand on the subject of why I do consider this unneeded
information (needed, just not here)

Consider a hosting box with ~100 caches. Let us say that a container
touches 50 of them, we still have 50 caches per container. Objects in
those caches, may take a long time to go away. Let's say, in 40 of those
caches.

The number of entries in /proc/slabinfo is not proportional to the
number of active containers: It becomes proportional to the number of
containers that *ever* existed on the machine - even if those numbers
drop with time, they still can drop slowly.

In use cases where containers come and go frequently, before a shrinker
can be called to wipe some of them out, we are easily in the 1000s of
lines in /proc/slabinfo. It becomes too much information, and it usually
makes it hard to find the one you are looking for.

But there is another aspect: those dead caches have one thing in common,
which is the fact that no new objects will ever be allocated on them.
You can't tune them, or do anything with them. I believe it is
misleading to include them in slabinfo.

The fact that the caches change names - to append "dead" may also break
tools, if that is what you are concerned about.

For all the above, I think a better semantics for slabinfo is to include
the active caches, and leave the dead ones somewhere else.