[Devel] Re: [RFC 5/7] use percpu_counters for res_counter usage

KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki kamezawa.hiroyu at jp.fujitsu.com
Fri Mar 30 02:58:03 PDT 2012

(2012/03/30 18:33), KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:

> (2012/03/30 17:04), Glauber Costa wrote:

> Hmm.... this part doesn't seem very good.
> I don't think for_each_online_cpu() here will not be a way to the final win.
> Under multiple hierarchy, you may need to call for_each_online_cpu() in each level.
>
> Can't you update percpu counter's core logic to avoid using for_each_online_cpu() ?
> For example, if you know what cpus have caches, you can use that cpu mask...
>
> Memo:
> Current implementation of memcg's percpu counting is reserving usage before its real use.
> In usual, the kernel don't have to scan percpu caches and just drain caches from cpus
> reserving usages if we need to cancel reserved usages. (And it's automatically canceled
> when cpu's memcg changes.)
>
> And 'reserving' avoids caching in multi-level counters,....it updates multiple counters
> in batch and memcg core don't need to walk res_counter ancestors in fast path.
>
> Considering res_counter's characteristics
>  - it has _hard_ limit
>  - it can be tree and usages are propagated to ancestors
>  - all ancestors has hard limit.
>
> Isn't it better to generalize 'reserving resource' model ?
> You can provide 'precise usage' to the user by some logic.

Ah....one more point. please see this memcg's code.
==
                if (nr_pages == 1 && consume_stock(memcg)) {
                        /*
                         * It seems dagerous to access memcg without css_get().
                         * But considering how consume_stok works, it's not
                         * necessary. If consume_stock success, some charges
                         * from this memcg are cached on this cpu. So, we
                         * don't need to call css_get()/css_tryget() before
                         * calling consume_stock().
                         */
                        rcu_read_unlock();
                        goto done;
                }
                /* after here, we may be blocked. we need to get refcnt */
                if (!css_tryget(&memcg->css)) {
                        rcu_read_unlock();
                        goto again;
                }
==

Now, we do consume 'reserved' usage, we can avoid css_get(), an heavy atomic
ops. You may need to move this code as

	rcu_read_lock()
	res_counter_charge()
	if (failure) {
		css_tryget()
		rcu_read_unlock()
	} else {
		rcu_read_unlock()
		return success;
	}

to compare performance. This css_get() affects performance very very much.

Thanks,
-Kame