[Devel] Re: [RFC 0/7] Initial proposal for faster res_counter updates

KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki kamezawa.hiroyu at jp.fujitsu.com
Fri Mar 30 01:32:06 PDT 2012

(2012/03/30 17:04), Glauber Costa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here is my take about how we can make res_counter updates faster.
> Keep in mind this is a bit of a hack intended as a proof of concept.
>
> The pros I see with this:
>
> * free updates in non-constrained paths. non-constrained paths includes
>   unlimited scenarios, but also ones in which we are far from the limit.
>
> * No need to have a special cache mechanism in memcg. The problem with
>   the caching is my opinion, is that we will forward-account pages, meaning
>   that we'll consider accounted pages we never used. I am not sure
>   anyone actually ran into this, but in theory, this can fire events
>   much earlier than it should.

Note: Assume a big system which has many cpus, and user wants to devide
the system into containers. Current memcg's percpu caching is done
only when a task in memcg is on the cpu, running. So, it's not so dangerous
as it looks.

But yes, if we can drop memcg's code, it's good. Then, we can remove some
amount of codes.

> But the cons:
>
> * percpu counters have signed quantities, so this would limit us 4G.
>   We can add a shift and then count pages instead of bytes, but we
>   are still in the 16T area here. Maybe we really need more than that.

struct percpu_counter {
        raw_spinlock_t lock;
        s64 count;

s64 limtes us 4G ?

> * some of the additions here may slow down the percpu_counters for
>   users that don't care about our usage. Things about min/max tracking
>   enter in this category.

I think it's not very good to increase size of percpu counter. It's already
very big...Hm. How about

	struct percpu_counter_lazy {
		struct percpu_counter pcp;
		extra information