[Devel] Re: containers and cgroups mini-summit @ Linux Plumbers

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Wed Jul 25 05:15:47 PDT 2012

Quoting Glauber Costa (glommer at parallels.com):
> On 07/25/2012 03:51 PM, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> > Quoting Glauber Costa (glommer at parallels.com):

> >> I just came up with the following preliminary list of sessions:
> >>
> >> http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2012:containers
> >
> > Thanks.  We could also add devices namespace to the list.  I'm fine NOT
> > having it in the list, as I think we're agreed that it should come after
> > user namespaces are complete.
> >
> How about a "future of namespaces" generic placeholder?

Sure.  And I suppose syslog and time ns could also fall under that.  Issues
to discuss include:

1. what other namespaces do people expect to need?
2. justifications for the proposed namespaces, and other potential ways
   to address each.  I.e., for devices ns, two justifications are (1)
   per-container loop devices (could be pre-allocated with containers
   aware of which /dev/loopN index they may use), and (2) filtering
   uevents only to appropriate containers to limit the uevent storm when
   containers do udevadm trigger --action=add (not sure, but we can
   brainstorm other solutions).
3. semantics for the namespace - I.e syslog namespace, how do we decide
   whether/when to unshare it, is it owned by a user namespace or a pid
   namespace, etc.