[Devel] Open vSwitch, brcompatd & OpenVZ on Debian

Sam Gaw hello at samgaw.co.uk
Fri May 6 05:22:12 PDT 2011

I've been experimenting with Open vSwitch (1.1.0-trunk) on OVZ running on Debian Squeeze (2.6.32-5) but I've been having problems with kernel panics as soon as I attach a veth interface to a bridge. Speaking with some of the OVS devs they mentioned that OVZ uses a couple of extensions to the networking stack, including a new bridge hook on transmit. I was hoping somebody more familiar with OVZ's network stack would be able to either shed some light or point me in the right direction to help get vSwitch running with containers?

For reference if anyone is interested I've recorded the steps to reproduce the kernel panic within about 5 minutes and pushed them to - https://gist.github.com/958808

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Cheers.

---