[Devel] Re: [RFD] reboot / shutdown of a container

Daniel Lezcano daniel.lezcano at free.fr
Thu Jan 13 14:09:15 PST 2011

On 01/13/2011 10:50 PM, Bruno Prémont wrote:
> On Thu, 13 January 2011 Daniel Lezcano<daniel.lezcano at free.fr>  wrote:

>>> Wouldn't sending SIGKILL to the pid '1' process of the originating PID
>>> namespace be sufficient (that would trigger a SIGCHLD for the parent
>>> process in the outer PID namespace.
>> This is already the case. The question is : when do we send this signal ?
>> We have to wait for the container system shutdown before killing it.
> I meant that sys_reboot() would kill the namespace's init if it's not
> called from boot namespace.
>
> See below
>
>>> (as far as I remember the PID namespace is killed when its 'init' exits,
>>> if this is not the case all other processes in the given namespace would
>>> have to be killed as well)
>> Yes, absolutely but this is not the point, reaping the container is not
>> a problem.
>>
>> What we are trying to achieve is to shutdown properly the container from
>> inside (from outside will be possible too with the setns syscall).
>>
>> Assuming the process '1234' creates a new process in a new namespace set
>> and wait for it.
>>
>> The new process '1' will exec /sbin/init and the system will boot up.
>> But, when the system is shutdown or rebooted, after the down scripts are
>> executed the kill -15 -1 will be invoked, killing all the processes
>> expect the process '1' and the caller. This one will then call
>> 'sys_reboot' and exit. Hence we still have the init process idle and its
>> parent '1234' waiting for it to die.
> This call to sys_reboot() would kill "new process '1'" instead of trying to
> operate on the HW box.
> This also has the advantage that a container would not require an informed
> parent "monitoring" it from outside (though it would not be restarted even if
> requested without such informed outside parent).

Oh, ok. Sorry I misunderstood.

Yes, that could be better than crossing the namespace boundaries.

>> If we are able to receive the information in the process '1234' : "the
>> sys_reboot was called in the child pid namespace", we can take then kill
>> our child pid.  If this information is raised via a signal sent by the
>> kernel with the proper information in the siginfo_t (eg. si_code
>> contains "LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_RESTART", "LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_HALT", ... ), the
>> solution will be generic for all the shutdown/reboot of any kind of
>> container and init version.
> Could this be passed for a SIGCHLD? (when namespace is reaped, and received
> by 1234 from above example assuming sys_reboot() kills the "new process '1'")

Yes, that sounds a good idea.

> Looks like yes, but with the need to define new values for si_code (reusing
> LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_* would certainly clash, no matter which signal is choosen).

CLD_REBOOT_CMD_RESTART
CLD_REBOOT_CMD_HALT
CLD_REBOOT_CMD_POWER_OFF
CLD_REBOOT_CMD_RESTART2 (what about the cmd buffer, shall we ignore it ?)
CLD_REBOOT_CMD_KEXEC (?)
CLD_REBOOT_CMD_SW_SUSPEND (useful for the future checkpoint/restart)

LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_CAD_ON and LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_CAD_OFF could be disabled
for a non-init pid namespace, no ?