[Devel] Re: C/R: File substitution at restart

Serge E. Hallyn serge at hallyn.com
Wed Sep 8 06:09:31 PDT 2010

Quoting Matthieu Fertré (matthieu.fertre at kerlabs.com):
> Hi,
>
> Here is a proposal for a C/R related feature already developed in
> Kerrighed: file substitution at restart.
>
> The goal of this mail is to start a discussion about adding such feature
> to Linux cr. Comments are welcome!

Yup, AFAIK metacluster and zap do this too.  I don't think there is
any question about whether we want to support this, but rather
what the user-kernel API should look like.  Perhaps the easiest
"API" is to have the userspace program rewrite the checkpoint image,
but that probably isn't quite as simple as just substituting #s in
the image, bc we'll have to also find the place where the source of
the original fd was specified and tweak that.

I assume this is one of the things Oren would have 'cradvise()'
do, and at this point that sounds nice to me - might be worth
seeing how the community reacts.  Sentiments on such things change,
after all.

Have there been any other suggestions?

-serge