[Devel] Re: [lxc-devel] Containerized syslog

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Wed May 26 07:25:15 PDT 2010

* Daniel Lezcano <daniel.lezcano at free.fr> schrieb:

> I thing a consensus was not reach. The big deal with syslog is netfilter
> logs in an interrupt context where it is difficult to find the right log
> buffer ring as we are not in the process context making possible to
> identify the namespace.

That's one of the BIG problems in the Linux kernel, we've recently
stumbled with in another project (artificial disk bw limits):
far too much happening within interrupt context.

Interrupts were originally as _short time_ step-ins for time critical
signaling. What's happening here is an abuse of that concept, w/ really
bad implications (eg. arbitrary users can create loads to bring down
the whole system on extreme load). A clean and more robust solution
IMHO could be that the interrupt handler only loads the received l1
frames and enqueue them for an kernel thread (or multiple ones) - an
containerized setup then would have separate queues and kthreads on
per-container basis.

cu