[Devel] Re: Linux Checkpoint-Restart - v19

Oren Laadan orenl at cs.columbia.edu
Mon Mar 15 15:55:46 PDT 2010

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to evaluate c/r. You may want to also
try the latest, which is (as of now) ckpt-v20-rc2.

In the future, please CC the containers mailing list for issues
related to c/r, at "containers at lists.linux-foundation.org".

Jiro SEKIBA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to evaluate external checkpoint/restart with cr-v19 kernel.
> However, when I restart, I got "Killed" message in stdout.
> Do you have any tips or clue that are not in
> Documentation/checkpoint/usage.txt ?
>
> I'm using kernel pulled from
> git://git.ncl.cs.columbia.edu/pub/git/linux-cr.git .
> checkout tag named "ckpt-v19". Base distro is ubuntu 9.10.
>
> I ran self checkpioint/restart sample program in Documentation/checkpint.
> It works as written in usage.txt.
> However, I can not make external checkpint/restart work properly.
>
> I made a simple test program bellow and create checkpoint externally using
> the program in Documentation/checkpoint/, it looks checkpoint file is
> created properly.
> However, when I ran self_restart < ckpt.image, I got "Killed" message.

If you take an external checkpoint, then you need to match it
with an external restart, as opposed to self_restart.

Otherwise, restarting with self_restart from a checkpoint that is
not a self-checkpoint can yield unexpected results.

Since you don't mention in your post, I don't know if you are using
the tools from user-cr. If not, then you should use 'checkpoint' and
'restart' tools from there. It is available from:
	git://git.ncl.cs.columbia.edu/pub/git/user-cr.git
(use the same branch as the one you used to linux-cr).

Once you have the tools compiled, and you checkpoint with the
'checkpoint' utility from there, you can restart with:
	restart -v < ckpt.image

Oren.