[Devel] Re: [Lxc-users] PHYS type lxc not working

atp Andrew.Phillips at lmax.com
Thu Jul 8 01:00:36 PDT 2010

You need to add a macvlan device to the parent device with the same
mode.

So, if you have a macvlan with a link device of eth0, you'll need to
create a macvlan device off eth0 - e.g. eth0:1 that is of mode bridge.

There was an email yesterday that showed how to do that.

Andy

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 10:13 +0530, Sabdar wrote:
> ok thanks for the information,i will make a try on 2.6.35-rc4 kernel
> and with latest lxc package.Also can anyone suggest how to make
> macvlan container communicate with the host.i can make macvlan
> communicate with other container using macvlan bridge mode similarly
> is there any way that i can make it to allow communicate with host as
> well.
>

> Thanks,
> Sabdar.
>
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 4:03 AM, Matt Helsley <matthltc at us.ibm.com>
> wrote:
>
>         On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 10:09:21AM +0530, Sabdar wrote:
>         >    Hi all,
>         >         I want to use the below configuration in lxc, but
>         the problem is the
>         > physical interface is not getting release after i stop the
>         container like it
>         > happens in macvlan type.The interface gets disappear from
>         host and i can
>         > restore that only if i reboot my system,
>         >
>         > lxc.utsname = gamma
>         > lxc.network.type = phys
>         > lxc.network.flags = up
>         > lxc.network.link = eth0
>         > lxc.network.name = eth0
>         > lxc.network.ipv4 = 192.168.10.1
>         >
>         > My kernel version :- linux-2.6.33
>

>         Have you tried 2.6.35-rc4? It has Eric's sysfs and netns
>         tagging
>         patches which enhance support for using physical interfaces.
>
>         Cc'ing lxc-users (which is probably a better place to ask)
>
>         > Lxc version :- 0.6.5
>

>         lxc 0.7.1 is also out.
>
>         I'm sorry, I know this isn't much help in figuring out the
>         exact nature of the problem. Hopefully Cc'ing lxc-users will
>         help.
>
>         Cheers,
>                -Matt Helsley

Andrew Phillips
Head of Systems

www.lmax.com

Office: +44 203 1922509
Mobile: +44 (0)7595 242 900

LMAX | Level 2, Yellow Building | 1 Nicholas Road | London | W11 4AN

The information in this e-mail and any attachment is confidential and is intended only for the named recipient(s). The e-mail may not be disclosed or used by any person other than the addressee, nor may it be copied in any way. If you are not a named recipient please notify the sender immediately and delete any copies of this message. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden. Any view or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.