[Devel] How do containers tie to multiple IP's on a NIC?

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Sat Jul 3 20:40:23 PDT 2010

Hi,

In the containerless world, I often have multiple IPs assigned to a NIC. The
scant documentation I can find on running containers only ever speaks of
single IP assignment schemes. Can I have for example a box with a single NIC
with 8 IPs assigned to it, where the host gets one IP, or perhaps
alternately can see all 8 to run iptables across, but each of the containers
can see only whichever IP or IPs are assigned to it?

If it can work this way, I'd appreciate any hints on the correct way to
implement it. If it can't, I apologize for barking up the wrong tree, and
will need to look at full virtualization methods which can.

Thanks,
Whit