[Devel] Re: RFC: netfilter: nf_conntrack: add support for "conntrack zones"

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Tue Feb 23 12:00:55 PST 2010

jamal <hadi at cyberus.ca> writes:

> Added Daniel to the discussion..
>
> On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 06:07 -0800, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>> jamal <hadi at cyberus.ca> writes:
>
>> > Does the point after sys_setns(fd) allow me to do io inside
>> > ns <name>? Can i do open() and get a fd from ns <name>?
>>
>> Yes.  My intention is that current->nsproxy->net_ns be changed.
>> We can already change it in unshare so this is feasible.
>
> I like it if it makes it as easy as it sounds;-> With lxc,
> i essentially have to create a proxy process inside the
> namespace that i use unix domain to open fds inside the ns.
> Do i still need that?

That point of the mount to hold a persistent reference to the
namespace without using a process.

The point of the of the to be written set_ns call is to change
the default network namespace of the process such that all future
open/bind/socket calls happen in the referenced network namespace.

The are a few stray places like sysfs where it is the mount point
not current->nsproxy->net_ns that will determine what we see.

>> > The only problem that i see is events are not as nice. I take it i am
>> > going to get something like an inotify when a new namespace is created?
>>
>> Yes.  Inotify would at the very least see that mkdir.  You could also
>> use poll on /proc/mounts to see the set of mounts change.
>
> It is not as nice but livable. I suppose attributes of the specific
> namespace are retrieved somewhere there as well..

Attributes of the specific namespace?

Eric