[Devel] Re: [Lxc-users] Kernel 2.6.33-rc6, 3 bugs container specific.

Daniel Lezcano daniel.lezcano at free.fr
Thu Feb 4 01:33:21 PST 2010

Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Daniel Lezcano (daniel.lezcano at free.fr):
>
>> Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
>>
>>> Quoting Jean-Marc Pigeon (jmp at safe.ca):

>>> Yes, so a privileged task on HOST must pass that information back to
>>> you on CONT.  That is not a valid complaint imo.  But how to sort the
>>> msgs out is a valid question.
>>>
>>> We need some sort of identifier, unique system-wide, attached to.. something.
>>> Is ifindex unique system-wide right now?  Oh, IIRC it is, but we wnat it to
>>> be containerized, so that would be a bad choice :)

>>> Simplest choices would be to just refuse sys_syslog() and open(/proc/kmsg)
>>> altogether from a container, or to only allow reading/writing messages
>>> to own syslog.  (I had hoped to find time to try out the second option but
>>> simply haven't had the time, and it doesn't look like I will very soon.
>>> So if anyone else wants to, pls jump at it...)
>>>
>>> Then /proc/kmsg can provide what I described above through a FUSE file,
>>> and if, as you mentioned, the container unmounts the FUSE fs and gets
>>> to real procfs, they just get nothing.

>> We have:
>>        * Commands to sys_syslog:
>>        *
>>        *      0 -- Close the log.  Currently a NOP.
>>        *      1 -- Open the log. Currently a NOP.
>>        *      2 -- Read from the log.
>>        *      3 -- Read all messages remaining in the ring buffer.
>>        *      4 -- Read and clear all messages remaining in the ring buffer
>>        *      5 -- Clear ring buffer.
>>        *      6 -- Disable printk to console
>>        *      7 -- Enable printk to console
>>        *      8 -- Set level of messages printed to console
>>        *      9 -- Return number of unread characters in the log buffer
>>        *     10 -- Return size of the log buffer
>>
>> And add:
>>       *     11 -- create a new ring buffer for the current process
>> and its childs
>>

>> We have, let's say a global ring buffer keep untouched, used by
>> syslog(2) and printk. When we create a new ring buffer, we allocate
>> it and assign to the nsproxy (global ring buffer is the default in
>> the nsproxy).
>>
>> The prink keeps writing in the global ring buffer and the syslog(2)
>> writes to the "namespaced" ring buffer.
>>
>> Does it makes sense ?
>>

> Yeah, it's a nice alternative.  Though (1) there is something to be said for
> forcing a new ring buffer upon clone(CLONE_NEWUSER), and (2) assuming the
> new ring buffer is pointed to from nsproxy, it might be frowned upon to do
> an unshare/clone action in yet another way.

Why do you want to tie clone(CLONE_NEWUSER) with a new ring buffer ?
I mean one may want to use CLONE_NEWUSER but keep the ring buffer, no ?
> I still think our first concern should be safety, and that we should consider
> just adding 'struct syslog_struct' to nsproxy, and making that NULL on a
> clone(CLONE_NEWUSER).  any sys_syslog() or /proc/kmsg access returns -EINVAL
> after that.  Then we can discuss whether and how to target printks to
> namespaces, and whether duplicates should be sent to parent namespaces.

That makes sense to do it step by step. Targeting the printk is the more
difficult, no ? I mean you should have always the destination namespace
available which is not obvious when the printk is called from an
interrupt context.

> After we start getting flexible with syslog, the next request will be for
> audit flexibility.  I don't even know how our netlink support suffices for
> that right now.
>
> (So, this all does turn into a big deal...)

Mmh ... right.