[Devel] Re: Wiki for LXC with Checkpoint/Restart

Sukadev Bhattiprolu sukadev at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Apr 14 13:40:54 PDT 2010

Nathan Lynch [ntl at pobox.com] wrote:
| On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 15:27 -0700, Sukadev Bhattiprolu wrote:
| > Hi,
| >
| > We created following wiki to describe the process to build/test LXC
| > with checkpoint/restart.
| >
| > 	https://ckpt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Link-LXC-USERCR
| >
| > The USERCR and LXC patches that are needed are in:
| >
| >         http://lxc.sourceforge.net/patches/lxc+usercr/usercr-patches/
| >         http://lxc.sourceforge.net/patches/lxc+usercr/lxc-patches/
| >
| > (and also referred to in the above wiki).
| >
| > For now, the wiki identifies specific "commit-id"s to identify the
| > commit with which the instructions in the wiki were tested. We hope
| > to create more meaningful tags to the commits and if so, we will update
| > the wiki with the tags.
|
| Commit IDs are ugly but unambiguous.  I didn't have a problem just
| copy/pasting the commands.
|
| > Please let me know if you have any comments on the wiki or run into
| > problems.
|
| I took the liberty of cleaning up a few stray '|' characters in the last
| code snippet and fixed up the deprecated old-style git invocations (e.g.
| "git-clone" becomes "git clone").  Not trying to be picky about the git
| thing, but the hyphenated commands don't work on newer distributions.
|
| I ran into an issue trying to follow the instructions on a SLES11 x86_64
| system.  When building lxc I get:
|
| gcc -fPIC -DPIC -I../../src -DLIBCR -I/home/nathanl/user-cr
| -I/home/nathanl/user-cr/include -g -O2 -Wall
| -shared /home/nathanl/user-cr/checkpoint.o /home/nathanl/user-cr/restart.o /home/nathanl/user-cr/libeclone.a -Wl,-soname,liblxc.so.0  -o liblxc.so liblxc_so-arguments.o liblxc_so-commands.o liblxc_so-start.o liblxc_so-stop.o liblxc_so-monitor.o liblxc_so-console.o liblxc_so-freezer.o liblxc_so-checkpoint.o liblxc_so-restart.o liblxc_so-error.o liblxc_so-parse.o liblxc_so-cgroup.o liblxc_so-utils.o liblxc_so-namespace.o liblxc_so-conf.o liblxc_so-confile.o liblxc_so-state.o liblxc_so-log.o liblxc_so-network.o liblxc_so-nl.o liblxc_so-rtnl.o liblxc_so-genl.o liblxc_so-mainloop.o liblxc_so-af_unix.o -lutil
| /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: /home/nathanl/user-cr/checkpoint.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
|
| Not sure what to do about it immediately; user-cr/checkpoint.o should be
| built with -fPIC I guess?

Yes, I think thats what Michel or Daniel ran into. For some reason, I
did not run into on Fedora11. Can you add -fPIC to the usercr CFLAGS
and try ? If it works for you, I will try on Fedora11 too and we can
add a patch to lxc.sf.net/patches/lxc+usercr/.

We may need to do something similar for any kernel patches that are
needed on top of each "release" of the wiki.

Sukadev