[Devel] Re: IO scheduler based IO controller V10

Vivek Goyal vgoyal at redhat.com
Mon Sep 28 10:14:20 PDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 05:35:02PM +0200, Corrado Zoccolo wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Vivek Goyal <vgoyal at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 07:00:08PM +0200, Corrado Zoccolo wrote:
> >> Hi Vivek,

> >> I think cfq should already be doing something similar, i.e. giving
> >> 100ms slices to firefox, that alternate with dd, unless:
> >> * firefox is too seeky (in this case, the idle window will be too small)
> >> * firefox has too much think time.
> >>

> Hi Vivek,
> > Hi Corrado,
> >
> > "firefox" is the shell script to setup the environment and launch the
> > broser. It seems to be a group of threads. Some of them run in parallel
> > and some of these seems to be running one after the other (once previous
> > process or threads finished).
>
> Ok.
>

> >> To rule out the first case, what happens if you run the test with your
> >> "fairness for seeky processes" patch?
> >
> > I applied that patch and it helps a lot.
> >
> > http://lwn.net/Articles/341032/
> >
> > With above patchset applied, and fairness=1, firefox pops up in 27-28 seconds.
>
> Great.
> Can you try the attached patch (on top of 2.6.31)?
> It implements the alternative approach we discussed privately in july,
> and it addresses the possible latency increase that could happen with
> your patch.
>
> To summarize for everyone, we separate sync sequential queues, sync
> seeky queues and async queues in three separate RR strucutres, and
> alternate servicing requests between them.
>
> When servicing seeky queues (the ones that are usually penalized by
> cfq, for which no fairness is usually provided), we do not idle
> between them, but we do idle for the last queue (the idle can be
> exited when any seeky queue has requests). This allows us to allocate
> disk time globally for all seeky processes, and to reduce seeky
> processes latencies.

Ok, I seem to be doing same thing at group level (In group scheduling
patches). I do not idle on individual sync seeky queues but if this is
last queue in the group, then I do idle to make sure group does not loose
its fair share and exit from idle the moment there is any busy queue in
the group.

So you seem to be grouping all the sync seeky queues system wide in a
single group. So all the sync seeky queues collectively get 100ms in a
single round of dispatch? I am wondering what happens if there are lot
of such sync seeky queues this 100ms time slice is consumed before all the
sync seeky queues got a chance to dispatch. Does that mean that some of
the queues can completely skip the one dispatch round?

Thanks
Vivek