[Devel] Re: restart (mktree) program usage

Sukadev Bhattiprolu sukadev at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Sep 17 09:53:11 PDT 2009

Serge E. Hallyn [serue at us.ibm.com] wrote:
| > > True. But if originally the application was started as:
| > >
| > > 	Create container
| > > 	Login to contaienr
| >
| > Actually, I'm not sure what you mean by "login to container" ?
|
| I assume he was thinking of a system container created with liblxc
| or libvirt, and literally logging in on its console or over ssh.

Yes, but...

| > > Yes, that would be really useful I think for things like restoring file
| > > system to its snapshot. Without that there is somewhat of an assymetry
| > > in starting an application in a container and restarting it from a
| > > checkpoint.
|
| Fine, they are different operations :)

...more than the assymetry, I guess I am not sure what is the "recommended"
way to restart an application, while ensuring filesystem (and network)
are correctly restored by user.

	ns_exec --cpuim -- /usr/bin/restart --wait < checkpoint-image.1

assumes fs/network are setup. Hence the "login" to the container.