[Devel] Re: [RFC] IO scheduler based IO controller V9

Vivek Goyal vgoyal at redhat.com
Fri Sep 11 07:43:41 PDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 10:30:40AM -0400, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 03:16:23PM +0200, Jerome Marchand wrote:
> > Vivek Goyal wrote:

> > > Hi Jerome,
> > >
> > > Can you also run the AS test with io controller patches and both the
> > > database in root group (basically don't put them in to separate group). I
> > > suspect that this regression might come from that fact that we now have
> > > to switch between queues and in AS we wait for request to finish from
> > > previous queue before next queue is scheduled in and probably that is
> > > slowing down things a bit.., just a wild guess..
> > >

> > Hi Vivek,
> >
> > I guess that's not the reason. I got 46.6s for both DB in root group with
> > io-controller v9 patches. I also rerun the test with DB in different groups
> > and found about the same result as above (48.3s and 48.6s).
> >

> Hi Jerome,
>
> Ok, so when both the DB's are in root group (with io-controller V9
> patches), then you get 46.6 seconds time for both the DBs. That means there
> is no regression in this case. In this case there is only one queue of
> root group and AS is running timed read/write batches on this queue.
>
> But when both the DBs are put in separate groups then you get 48.3 and
> 48.6 seconds respectively and we see regression. In this case there are
> two queues belonging to each group. Elevator layer takes care of queue
> group queue switch and AS runs timed read/write batches on these queues.
>
> If it is correct, then it does not exclude the possiblity that it is queue
> switching overhead between groups?

Does your hard drive support command queuing? May be we are driving deeper
queue depths for reads and during queue switch we will wait for requests
to finish from last queue to finish before next queue is scheduled in (for
AS) and that probably will cause more delay if we are driving deeper queue
depth.

Can you please set queue depth to "1" (/sys/block/<disk>/device/queue_depth) on
this disk and see time consumed in two cases are same or different. I think
setting depth to "1" will bring down overall throughput but if times are same
in two cases, at least we will know where the delay is coming from.

Thanks
Vivek