[Devel] Re: [RFC] IO scheduler based IO controller V9

Vivek Goyal vgoyal at redhat.com
Tue Sep 8 12:19:41 PDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 03:40:53PM +0800, Gui Jianfeng wrote:
> Hi Vivek,
>
> I happened to encount a bug when i test IO Controller V9.
> When there are three tasks to run concurrently in three group,
> that is, one is parent group, and other two tasks are running
> in two different child groups respectively to read or write
> files in some disk, say disk "hdb", The task may hang up, and
> other tasks which access into "hdb" will also hang up.
>
> The bug only happens when using AS io scheduler.
> The following scirpt can reproduce this bug in my box.

Hi Gui,

I tried reproducing this on my system and can't reproduce it. All the
three processes get killed and system does not hang.

Can you please dig deeper a bit into it.

- If whole system hangs or it is just IO to disk seems to be hung.
- Does io scheduler switch on the device work
- If the system is not hung, can you capture the blktrace on the device.
  Trace might give some idea, what's happening.

Thanks
Vivek