[Devel] Status of vzctl module support

Dustin Lundquist dustin.lundquist at blueboxgrp.com
Wed Sep 2 11:01:10 PDT 2009

Hi All,

I discovered vzctl's module support while running strace and so far has
a working module for the create action that can parse additional
arguments and provides a custom vps_create action to allow specifying a
template url and retieve the image remotely. So I have a few questions:

Module ecosystem: What is the long term plan with vzctl's module
support? Does anyone know if Parallels uses this functionality in
Virtuozzo? Are their other any publicly available modules?

Module internals: What was the intended use of alloc_data(), free_data()
and passing a data_param pointer to and from the module: was this so
modules could share internal data structures? Does anyone maintain a
central accounting of module id and get_opts param id, if so how can I
obtain one? Is there any other documention outside the vzctl source for
this interface?

Thanks,

Dustin Lundquist
Blue Box Group