[Devel] OpenVZ & Busybox?

Damon Miller dtmiller1976 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 20 11:41:51 PST 2009

Hello all.  I recently attempted to start a Busybox-based Linux appliance under OpenVZ and didn't get far.  It appears that OpenVZ tries to start the guest but fails pretty quickly.  In Busybox 'init' is actually a symlink to the 'busybox' binary, as are most of the usual system utilities, e.g. 'ls', 'rm', etc.  I'm not sure if this is the problem but it seems likely it is a problem.

My first stop after hitting the problem was the OpenVZ mailing list archive, where I found a message from 2007 with subject "Problems w/ busybox's init in VPS" describing similar issues.  The most recently reply was from Kir Kolyshkin suggesting that the discussion be moved from the Users list to the Devel list.  Unfortunately I couldn't find anything in the Devel archives related to the discussion.  Does anyone recall if this problem was resolved?  Or does anyone more generally have suggestions on running a Busybox "OS" within OpenVZ?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards,

Damon