[Devel] Re: [RFC] Mount point suggestions for cgroup

Serge E. Hallyn serue at us.ibm.com
Wed Nov 4 08:11:42 PST 2009

Quoting Dave Hansen (dave at linux.vnet.ibm.com):
> On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 13:46 +0530, Balbir Singh wrote:
> > The reason I liked /dev/cgroup was because cpusets could be
> > mounted at /dev/cpuset or /dev/cgroup/cpuset. My concern with /cgroup
> > is that a ls "/" now becomes larger in size. But I'll take your vote
> > for it as +1 for /cgroup.
>
> /dev/pts is a decent precedent for doing it under /dev, although it does
> deal with actual devices.  cgroups do not.

Hmm, on whose behalf are you making this decision?

LSB people will want to avoid using /cgroup, but I think a lot of
admins will likely prefer /cgroup (as I do).  On my systems I
always use /cgroup, but would be more likely to use /mnt/cgroup
over /dev/cgroup.

lxc (at lxc.sf.net) rightfully takes the cgroupfs from wherever it
happens to be mounted.  Do you really need a mountpoint decided?

If you do, then while I DETEST the extra typing, I think
/sys/kernel/cgroup makes most sense, since that's where you find
debugfs and securityfs.

-serge