[Devel] Shutting down a container?

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Fri Nov 13 09:02:24 PST 2009

What's the supposed way to stop a container?

Let's assume I've a container that's running a complete
system inside, together with its own init and the like.
It should clean some stuff when "shutting down", it's
not wise to kill it right away.  So I run something like
a shutdown in the container.  And it goes up to `halt'
and just sits here, with only one process left - it's
the init process with virtual PID=1, which is reading
from it's /dev/initctl.

I tried to change /etc/init.d/halt to kill a process with
pid=1, but that does not work - apparently the signal is
ignored (even with kill -9) -- ie, init continues as if
there was no signal.

_But_, when I attempt to run strace on the ("virtual")
init process, it gets killed with `kill -9' immediately.

It also can be killed (also with -9) from the host system
regardless of strace.

Should there be some different init perhaps, that will
exit given some command or signal, instead of sysvinit?
Or is there other way to shutdown a container?

P.S.  Using debian lenny with 2.6.31.6 kernel and lxc
utils from yesterdays git.

Thanks!

/mjt