[Devel] Re: IO scheduler based IO Controller V2

Peter Zijlstra peterz at infradead.org
Sat May 9 02:22:52 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 17:56 -0400, Vivek Goyal wrote:
>   So, we shall have to come up with something better, I think Dhaval was
>   implementing upper limit for cpu controller. May be PeterZ and Dhaval can
>   give us some pointers how did they manage to implement both proportional
>   and max bw control with the help of a single tree while maintaining the
>   notion of prio with-in cgroup.

We don't do max bandwidth control in the SCHED_OTHER bits as I oppose to
making it non work conserving.

SCHED_FIFO/RR do constant bandwidth things and are always scheduled in
favour of SCHED_OTHER.

That is, we provide a minimum bandwidth for real-time tasks, but since
having a maximum higher than the minimum is useless since one cannot
rely on it (non deterministic) we put max = min.