[Devel] Re: [lxc-devel] Poor bridging performance on 10 GbE

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Wed Mar 18 17:50:16 PDT 2009

Ryousei Takano <ryousei at gmail.com> writes:

> I am using VServer because other virtualization mechanisms, including OpenVZ,
> Xen, and KVM cannot fully utilize the network bandwidth of 10 GbE.
>
> Here are the results of netperf bencmark:
> 	vanilla (2.6.27-9)		9525.94
> 	Vserver (2.6.27.10)	9521.79
> 	OpenVZ (2.6.27.10)	2049.89
> 	Xen (2.6.26.1)		1011.47
> 	KVM (2.6.27-9)		1022.42
>
> Now I am interesting to use LXC instead of VServer.

A good argument.

>>> Using a macvlan device, the throughput was 9.6 Gbps. But, using a veth
>>> device,
>>> the throughput was only 2.7 Gbps.
>>
>> Yeah, definitively the macvlan interfaces is the best in terms of
>> performances but with the restriction of not being able to communicate
>> between containers on the same hosts.
>>
> This restriction is not so big issue for my purpose.

Right.  I have been trying to figure out what the best way to cope
with that restriction is.

>>> I also checked the host OS's performance when I used a veth device.
>>> I observed a strange phenomenon.
>>>
>>> Before issuing lxc-start command, the throughput was 9.6 Gbps.
>>> Here is the output of brctl show:
>>>        $ brctl show
>>>        bridge name     bridge id               STP enabled     interfaces
>>>        br0             8000.0060dd470d49       no              eth1
>>>
>>> After issuing lxc-start command, the throughput decreased to 3.2 Gbps.
>>> Here is the output of brctl show:
>>>        $ sudo brctl show
>>>        bridge name     bridge id               STP enabled     interfaces
>>>        br0             8000.0060dd470d49       no              eth1
>>>                                                                veth0_7573
>>>
>>> I wonder why the performance is greatly influenced by adding a veth device
>>> to a bridge device.
>>
>> Hmm, good question :)

Bridging last I looked uses the least common denominator of hardware
offloads.  Which likely explains why adding a veth decreased your
bridging performance.

>>> Here is my experimental setting:
>>>        OS: Ubuntu server 8.10 amd64
>>>        Kernel: 2.6.27-rc8 (checkout from the lxc git repository)
>>
>> I would recommend to use the 2.6.29-rc8 vanilla because this kernel does no
>> longer need patches, a lot of fixes were done in the network namespace and
>> maybe the bridge has been improved in the meantime :)
>>
> I checked out the 2.6.29-rc8 vanilla kernel.
> The performance after issuing lxc-start improved to 8.7 Gbps!
> It's a big improvement, while some performance loss remains.
> Can not we avoid this loss?

Good question.  Any chance you can profile this and see where the
performance loss seems to be coming from?

Eric