[Devel] Re: What can OpenVZ do?

Serge E. Hallyn serue at us.ibm.com
Fri Mar 13 17:26:56 PDT 2009

Quoting Eric W. Biederman (ebiederm at xmission.com):
> Alexey Dobriyan <adobriyan at gmail.com> writes:

> >> So where is the bottleneck? I suspect the effort in having forward ported
> >> it across 4 major kernel releases in a single year is already larger than
> >> the technical effort it would  take to upstream it. Any unreasonable upstream
> >> resistence/passivity you are bumping into?
> >
> > People were busy with netns/containers stuff and OpenVZ/Virtuozzo bugs.
>
> Yes.  Getting the namespaces particularly the network namespace finished
> has consumed a lot of work.
>
> Then we have a bunch of people helping with ill conceived patches that seem
> to wear out the patience of people upstream.  Al, Greg kh, Linus.
>
> The whole recent ressurection of the question of we should have a clone
> with pid syscall.

/me points

Alexey started it :)

But, Linus asks to start with simple checkpoint/restart patches.  Oren's
basic patchset pretty much does that, though, right?  Patches 1-7 just
do a basic single task.  8-10 add simple open files.  11, 13 and 14 do
external checkpoint and multiple tasks.

Are these an ok place to start, or do these need to be simplified even
more?

-serge