[Devel] Re: How much of a mess does OpenVZ make? ; ) Was: What can OpenVZ do?

Alexey Dobriyan adobriyan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 17:20:59 PDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 02:01:50PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Mar 2009, Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
> > >
> > > Let's face it, we're not going to _ever_ checkpoint any kind of general
> > > case process. Just TCP makes that fundamentally impossible in the general
> > > case, and there are lots and lots of other cases too (just something as
> > > totally _trivial_ as all the files in the filesystem that don't get rolled
> > > back).
> >
> > What do you mean here? Unlinked files?
>
> Or modified files, or anything else. "External state" is a pretty damn
> wide net. It's not just TCP sequence numbers and another machine.

I think (I think) you're seriously underestimating what's doable with
kernel C/R and what's already done.

I was told (haven't seen it myself) that Oracle installations and
Counter Strike servers were moved between boxes just fine.

They were run in specially prepared environment of course, but still.